PeaceHealth is seeking a
Diabetes Educator : Alaska for a
.5 full time equivalent
Exempt position. This position will be working
Day shift with shift durations of
This position is responsible for providing individualized or group, goal directed diabetes management education for patients and their families according to the Scope of Practice, Standards of Practice, and Standards of Professional performance for Diabetes Educators.
1. Collaboratively develops educational goals, learning objectives and a plan for education content and teaching methods for program participants.
2. Provides diabetes self management training to patients in the clinic or hospital setting. Develops an individualized follow:up plan with each patient.
3. Evaluates effectiveness of educational services provided by measuring attainment of learning objectives. Conducts a follow:up assessment upon completion of the program.
4. Do ents patient care in the medical record according to standards.
5. Participate in the development of training materials. Contributes to and participates in continuous quality improvement processes.
6. Evaluates ability to obtain diabetic medications and testing equipment and related supplies.
7. Maintain and update education materials and keeping current with operational guidelines of glucometers.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: * Bachelors degree in Nursing from an accredited program or Bachelors degree in Nutrition Sciences required.
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING: * Minimum of one year experience in general medical nursing or dietetics with a variety of chronic conditions, including diabetes and heart disease
* Experience as diabetic educator in outpatient setting preferred.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: * Current Registered Nurse license in the state of practice or current licensure for Dietitian in the state of practice may be required
* Certification as Diabetes Educator required.
* Other state specific certification may be required.
OTHER SKILLS: * Demonstrated ability to affectively teach in a group setting, utilizing a variety of educational methods
* Proficient computer/keyboarding skills including MS Office applications
* Ability to recognize and prioritize complex data to best serve patient
* Proficient in Microsoft office suite and ability to learn new software skills
Region Specific Notes:
Alaska : Ketchikan Medical Center
* National Board Certification for Diabetes Education required or must be able to obtain within 24 months of employment.
Please apply online to be considered.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application.
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, WA, is a not:for:profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi:specialty medical group practice with more than 800 physicians and providers, a comprehensive laboratory system, and ten medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues to serve communities when invited to do so with a spirit of collaboration and stewardship : the spirit of health.
We offer competitive compensation, a robust benefits package and a collaborative, Mission:driven work environment To learn more about working at PeaceHealth and the
Location: ketchikan, Skeena-Bulkley